Tourism is a key driver of economic growth in many regions, and it continues to expand as more people travel and their expectations increase. The accommodation sector is growing the fastest, with demand for boutique hotels steadily increasing. At the same time, travelers are seeking authentic experiences when they visit new places. It's not just about hotels anymore; visitors want to get a sense of local culture, meet locals, and learn about their history and traditions. This makes entertainment venues an essential part of any thriving tourist destination. In this article, we will explore the importance of entertainment venues in tourism, some examples of the best entertainment concepts in smaller cities across the globe, and how you can integrate these elements into your own business or investment project if you have one.
What is the Importance of Tourism in Local Entertainment?
Visitors are not only drawn to countries like Thailand, the US, and China for their culture but also for the entertainment available there. The entertainment industry is worth over $50 billion globally and has been growing steadily each year. Some of the most popular entertainment subsectors are:
Music - Whether you are a DJ or an aspiring pop artist, music is one of the most lucrative and exciting fields. You can make a living from recording or performing and earn enough to travel around the world.
TV and film - With the rise of streaming platforms, the barriers to entry in the TV and film industries have been lowered. Now, you can shoot your own pilot episode and turn it into a series, and share it with millions of viewers.
Visual arts - If you are artistic and have a way with words, you can use this talent to create visual artworks, paintings, and sculptures, or to write poetry or short stories. You can share your creations on social media and make money from selling your artwork.
How can Smaller Cities Benefit from Tourism?
People who travel usually want something different from what they get at home, and this is especially true for tourists who travel to smaller cities. Smaller cities don’t have the large and iconic landmarks that attract tourists to larger cities, but they can still provide a unique experience that is different from what tourists get at home. The main attraction in smaller cities is often the people and the culture of the place. This provides an opportunity for smaller cities to attract tourists and develop their economies. A thriving tourism sector can bring many benefits to smaller cities, including job opportunities, an increase in government revenue, and an increase in investment. Visitors will spend money on accommodation, transportation, food and drinks, and entertainment.
Examples of Successful Tourism and Entertainment Venues
Here are a few examples of successful tourism and entertainment venues:
- London’s Barbican Centre - Barbican Centre houses art galleries, a bookstore, a cinema, and an indoor swimming pool. The center also attracts a lot of tourists with its festivals, concerts, and other events.
- Jazz festivals - Jazz festivals are a common and popular form of tourism in many parts of the world, including Cuba and New Orleans. Many communities have a distinct musical culture, and they attract tourists who want to immerse themselves in local culture and music.
- Street food festivals - Food festivals are a great opportunity to showcase traditional cuisine and introduce it to new people. You can even organize a food festival and charge an admission fee, like the Chicha Food Festival in Peru.
- Christmas markets - Many tourist destinations host Christmas markets, including Paris, Dublin, and Tokyo. Christmas markets are popular attractions that help boost tourism in winter.
Why are Music Festivals Important?
Music festivals are one of the most popular forms of tourism in the world, attracting millions of visitors every year. Music festivals are important for a number of reasons: - They attract tourists from all over the world.
- Music festivals bring people from different countries and cultures together. They are a great way to meet new people and make new friends from across the globe. - They promote tourism in different countries.
- Music festivals are a great way to promote the tourism industry in a country. They give people a taste of what local culture is like and encourage them to travel to see more.
- They boost the local economy.
- Local governments often use music festivals to boost the economy, and they are an effective way to do so.
- They help grow local talent.
- Music festivals are a great way to promote local talents, such as new bands and artists. They allow these artists to perform in front of a large audience and build a fan base.
Tourism is a popular economic activity that can benefit many regions, but only if they have the attractions and activities to interest visitors. One of the most important features of tourism is culture and entertainment, which can help put smaller cities on the map. These subsectors can provide a unique and memorable experience that people can’t get at home. Now, cities and towns don’t have to rely solely on landmarks to attract visitors. They can provide a culturally rich experience and one that is different than what you can get at home.